The Nigerian Institute of Medical Research is mandated to conduct research into diseases of public health importance, as well as develop capacity for medical research and training. In fulfillment of this mandate, Nigerian Institute of Medical Research is starting a biannual national grant and mentorship training programme to increase the critical mass of Nigerian based investigators that are globally competitive and responsive. The Institute in collaboration with other academic partners will be organising an intensive and interactive Grantsmanship and Mentorship Training Workshop (GMTW) in Lagos, in November 2019. The training workshop is designed to strengthen the capacity of young and mid-career investigators/scientists in Nigeria to develop competitive research proposals for funding.
The workshop theme will focus on “Building Grantsmanship and Mentorship skills of future Nigerian scientists”.
Location: Nigeria Institute of Medical Research, 6 Edmund Crescent Yaba, Lagos.
Date: November 11 – 30th, 2019
Participants number: 20
Fees: The 21-day residential training workshop will be fully sponsored including transportation, accommodation and full board.
Target audience: The training targets Early and Mid-career researchers who would like to develop their potential for Grantsmanship and Mentorship.
- The ultimate goal of the workshop is to provide real time practical hands-on for Grants winning application and bridge Mentorship gap in public institutions.
- The workshop will provide a great opportunity for early/mid-career scientists/investigators to kick start their research career
- All sessions will be interactive with opportunities to reflect and practice on the Concept note.
- At least 3 proposals developed by trainees during the workshop will receive small funding support through NIMR annual calls for proposals Eligibilities
- Early/Mid- career scientist/investigator
- He/she should be working in areas of, or have academic experience related to, the main theme of the workshop
- Individuals with tenured appointments in the Universities and Research Institutions. Entry requirements
Application should include the following and submit as single PDF file
- A two-page bio-sketch (NIH format) with a maximum of 5 publications.
- A one-page Research Concept note.
- Motivation letter of not more than 500 words
- A Letter of recommendation/Support from Dean/Provost of the Faculty/College.
- Successful applicants will be required to provide evidence of Ethics Course (CITI) on resumption.
Application process to apply to participate in the GMTW, follow these steps:
- Complete and submit the online application at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Submit in a single PDF file o Short motivation essay of not more than 500 words
- Short bio sketch (maximum 2 pages)
- A letter of recommendation/support from the Provost/Dean of college/Faculty indicating
- Endorsement to attend the workshop
- How the training will benefit the researcher/investigator
- Commitment that applicant will be available for the 21 days without break
- Supported to step down the training within his institution on completing the training workshop
Application Deadline: 16:00 WAT, October 18th, 2019