Talented Young Scientists of Nigeria (TYSON), is a novel annual programme of the Federal Ministry of Science and Technology targeted to retain 1st Class /Distinction graduates of Science/Engineering in the Science, Technology and Innovation (STI) sphere, to harness their potentials toward contributing to national development through competitive Team study of identified national problems.
The main objectives of TYSON are to:
- Improve Science, Industry and Academic partnership;
- Facilitate the development of Smart Technology companies;
- Retain 1" Class graduates of Science / Engineering in the Science, Technology and Innovation (STI) profession;
- Forge friendship among future Nigerian graduates of Science and Technology and encourage networking;
- Foster long term national cooperation among Research and Tertiary Institutions;
- Produce a pool of dedicated Scientists, Technologists and Engineers with international competence;
- Lay the foundation that will enable Nigerian Scientists / Engineers proffer solutions to continental and world problems;
- Create a platform for Nigerian Scientists in the future to become renowned Noble Laureates in Medicine, Chemistry and Physics.
All Graduates of Tertiary Institutions (Universities/Polytechnics) with First Class Honours /Distinction in the areas of Science, Engineering, Agriculture, Medicine, Environmental Sciences and other related courses from 2016-2018. I he following challenges being faced by the STI sector in Nigeria over the years are being posed for the participants to proffer solutions using STI approaches:
- Non- Commercialization of Research & Development results,
- Non-Utilization of Nuclear Technology to eradicate malaria in Africa,
- Non-Utilization of renewable technology to address food storage in the rural areas,
- Non-utilization of Bioresources to address health challenges.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates are to log on www.scienceandtech.gov.ng and fill the form online, indicating area of interest of proffering solution(s).
Candidates are also expected to give a short brief on their proposed solutions (not more than 1000 words).
Only shortlisted candidates will be invited to participate. Note that submission closes on 7th September, 2019
For enquiries, please contact:
Ukpong, R.O Assistant Director (STEM)
Department of Science and Technology Promotion
BITRUS BAKO NABASU, mni
PERMANENT SECRETARY, FEDERAL MINISTRY OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY