COMMUNIQUE ISSUED AT THE END OF NATIONAL EXECUTIVE COUNCIL (NEC) MEETING OF SENIOR STAFF ASSOCIATION OF UNIVERSITIES, TEACHING HOSPITALS, RESEARCH INSTITUTES AND ASSOCIATED INSTITUTIONS (SSAUTHRIAI), HELD AT THE NATIONAL HEADQUARTERS, IBADAN ON 8TH AND 9TH AUGUST, 2019
The National Executive Council (NEC) of Senior Staff Association Of Universities, Teaching Hospitals, Research Institutes And Associated Institutions (SSAUTHRIAI), met on the 8th and 9th August, 2019 and after critical deliberations resolved as follows:
(1) NON IMPLEMENTATION OF AGREEMENTS REACHED WITH JORAISU AND JOHESU
The Council-in-Session calls on the Federal Government to honour agreements reached with Joint Research and Allied Institution Unions (JORAISU) and Joint Health Sector Unions (JOHESU) which include:-
- Payment of 12 months arrears of 53.37% Salary Increase of July, 2009 -June, 2010.
- Release of conditions and schemes of service for Federal Research Institutes, Projects and Federal Colleges of Agriculture submitted to the Office of the Head of Civil Service of the Federation since February, 2014.
- Increase funding of Research Institutes.
- Implementation of Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) consent judgement.
- Withheld April and May, 2018 salaries of members
- Adjustment of CONHESS salary structure and
- Retirement age of 65 years.
(2) REVIEW OF TETFUND ACT AND RE-CLASIFICIATION OF FEDERAL COLLEGES OF AGRICULTURE
The Council-in-Session calls on the Federal Government to review TETFUND Act to include Colleges of Agriculture and also to re-classify Colleges of Agriculture as Polytechnics instead of the wrongful classification of the Colleges as monotechnics by NBTE.
(3) REVIEW OF PENSION ACT 2014
The Council calls for the review of the Pension Act 2014 to allow retirees access their lump sum (100%) as well as prompt payment on retirement.
(4) NON IMPLEMENTATION OF SKIPPING OF CONRAISS 10
The Council-in-Session observes that despite National Industrial Court (NIC) judgment of 22nd July, 2013 on the Skipping of CONRAISS 10, some Management of Research Institutes, such as National Atomic Energy Commission (NAEC), Abuja, National Steel Raw Materials Exploration Agency (NSRMEA) Kaduna and National Centre for Agricultural Mechanization (NCAM), Ilorin, among others, are yet to comply. It therefore calls for the implementation of the judgement for Research Institutes and to pay arrears failing which the affected Institutes will be directed to embark on immediate strike.
(5) NON-IMPLEMENTATION OF NATIONAL MINIMUM WAGE ACROSS BOARD
The Council-in-Session calls for the immediate implementation of National Minimum Wage of Thirty Thousand Naira (N30,000.00) across board without further delay to ensure industrial harmony.
(6) STATE OF THE NATION
The Council-in-Session condemns in totality, insecurity resulting in kidnapping and killings of innocent Nigerians. It therefore, urges Mr. President to ensure that no stone is left unturned to ensure security, peace and stability in the country.
Com. B.A Akintola
Com. M.O Akinade