The African Centre of Excellence for Genomics of Infectious Diseases (ACEGID), based at Redeemer’s University Nigeria, is driving biomedical innovation at the leading edge of pathogen surveillance, diagnostics, and outbreak response. Established in 2013 and supported by the Human Heredity and Health in Africa (H3Africa) consortium and the World Bank, the ACEGID platform is building genomics pipelines, advancing our understanding of microbial threats, and training the next generation of African scientists how to identify, manage and control these pathogens.
We are seeking a motivated professional with outstanding management skills and a passion for global health to help lead an international research effort crossing the boundaries of science, education, and global health on the Genomic Characterization and Surveillance of Microbial Threats in West Africa. Through the ACEGID platform, we aim to further characterize the spectrum of microbes causing febrile illness in West Africa, develop field-deployable tests for their diagnosis and surveillance, and investigate their clinical manifestations, epidemiology, diversity, evolution, and the host and viral determinants of disease.
The Project Manager, based at the Institute for Lassa Fever Research and Control (ILFRC) at Irrua Specialist Teaching Hospital Irrua, Edo State, will manage multifaceted clinical and genomics research projects and staff located across clinical and research institutions in Nigeria, Sierra Leone, Senegal, United Kingdom, and the USA. The Project Manager will travel regularly to oversee research activities at national and regional collaborating centers including Ikorodu General Hospital (Lagos), Federal Teaching Hospital Abakaliki (Abakaliki, Ebonyi State), Federal Medical Centre (Owo, Ondo State), and Redeemer’s University (Ede, Osun State) in Nigeria, Kenema Government Hospital, Sierra Leone and Hopital Le Dantec, Dakar, Senegal.
The Project Manager must be an ambitious, detail-oriented problem solver who can efficiently manage people, projects, budgets, and ethical approvals. Candidates should be familiar working with large, complex data sets compiled across different data platforms. Comfort navigating complicated issues such as conducting multi-site human subjects research will be a strong advantage. Ideal candidates will also have proficiency in optimizing a pipeline of work, such as moving samples from collection to genotyping and sequencing. The job requires adherence to the project’s vision, meticulous attention to detail, and the ability to build and maintain good long-distance relationships that span many cultures. Ideal candidates will be knowledgeable in human subject research.
Works with project scientists and chaperones to document and facilitate understanding of project plans that include:
- goals related to project scope, quality, timeline, and cost
- anticipated obstacles and implementation strategies
- roles and responsibilities;
- plans for monitoring and reporting progress
Works in collaboration with partners at Irrua Specialist Teaching Hospital (Nigeria), Kenema Government Hospital (Sierra Leone), Cheikh Anta Diop University (Senegal), the Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard (USA), Harvard University (USA), Tulane University (USA) and to ensure timely completion of project milestones:
- Plan and track logistics for performance of studies
- Actively work with collaborators to improve project infrastructure and management
- Prepare, submit, and keep up-to-date all IRB/MTA/DUA approvals for projects
- Oversee and keep up-to-date lab safety and human subjects certifications for research study staff
- Oversee sample and data management and other project documentation
- Manage budgets for multiple project funding sources approaching a total of ~$5M
- Monitor procurement and maintain financial oversight of domestic and international spending
- Assists with the preparation of proposals, reports and quarterly and annual review materials for funding agencies and collaborators.
Other tasks as necessary
- Clinical background required
- Advanced degree such as MBA, MPH, MSc, PhD required. MBBS/MBChB or MD strongly preferred
- 3-5 years of relevant management experience
- Demonstrated ability to develop, implement, and monitor projects
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Must have the ability to interact with an interdisciplinary group including international collaborators, global health researchers, research scientists, and data analysts
- Experience in global health or genetics desired
- Experience in managing funder/sponsor relations desired
- Formal training in project management or management desired
- This position will be based at Irrua Specialist Teaching Hospital in Edo State, Nigeria
- Some domestic and international travel will be required according to programmatic needs
- There is a 3 year minimum commitment for this position
Please send a cover letter, resume, and copies of relevant credentials to firstname.lastname@example.org