The African Centre of Excellence for Genomics of Infectious Diseases (ACEGID), based at Redeemer’s University Nigeria, is driving biomedical innovation at the leading edge of pathogen surveillance, diagnostics, and outbreak response. Established in 2013 and supported by the Human Heredity and Health in Africa (H3Africa) consortium and the World Bank, ACEGID is building genomics pipelines, advancing our understanding of microbial threats, and training the next generation of African scientists how to detect, manage and control these pathogens.
The Chief of Staff will have an immediate and significant impact on ACEGID’s productivity; overseeing research program management, streamlining strategic initiatives, and facilitating the successful scaling up of operations. This role requires adherence to ACEGID’s vision, excellent follow through, meticulous attention to detail, and the ability to build and maintain good long-distance relationships that span many cultures.
Reporting to the Director, the Chief of Staff will handle day-to-day management of trainees and staff spanning the wet lab, bioinformatics, and administration teams and ensure effective, deliverable-focused communication between academic and clinical partner institutions in Nigeria (Lagos, Irrua, Owo, Abakaliki), Senegal, Sierra Leone, United Kingdom and the United States. He/She will operate with a high level of independence; trusted to execute complex tasks and projects as delegated by the Director and Deputy Director, and ensuring operations are uninterrupted during periods of their off-site travel. He/She will be highly responsive, addressing setbacks as they arise with a sense of urgency, and escalating issues as appropriate.
- Supervise daily operations and help oversee projects of high importance
- Coordinate procedures and work to improve existing processes for maximum clarity, efficiency, and success
- Attend virtual and in-person meetings with staff, collaborators, and University officials
- Find knowledge and skills gaps and help address them
- Keep Director current and informed of organization climate (team morale, project statuses, new proposals etc.)
- Prepare for, and follow up on, the Director's internal and external meetings by conducting background research and developing briefing memos.
- Organize and coordinate staff functions and activities
- Assist in interviewing and on-boarding new staff
- Prepare proposals, reports, budgets, presentations, manuscript publications, and review materials for funding agencies and collaborators
- Track deadlines as at when due
- Draft correspondence for the Director including letters, speeches, lecture presentations, and email communications
- Manage extensive travel and meeting schedule for the Director, including transportation and accommodations
- Organize trainings and events: invite the participants, schedule the facilities, negotiate with vendors and ensure the appropriate materials are in place
- Maintain and create content for ACEGID website and social media channels
- Proven experience in an operations, senior administration, or management role in a business or research environment with a special focus on executive-level advising and collaboration
- Ability to work under pressure from competing responsibilities with resilience
- Developed interpersonal skills. Ability to interact with an interdisciplinary group including international collaborators, global health researchers, research scientists, and data analysts
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Impeccable time management and multi-tasking skills. Able to adapt in swiftly evolving contexts and prioritize work accordingly
- Excellent judgement. Must operate with integrity and handle sensitive information with discretion
- Excellent management and organisation skills and good ability to track events
- Growth mindset. Able to learn new technologies quickly. Proficient in Microsoft Office and Google Apps
- Bachelor’s degree
- Science background (life science, global health, or academic research)
- French language skills will be an advantage
- Advanced degree (MBA, MPH, MSc, PhD)
- Experience in managing funder/sponsor relations
- Formal training in project management or management
- Experience in World Bank funded project may be an advantage
- This position will be based at Redeemer’s University Nigeria in Ede, Osun State but may have to visit other national sites for monitoring and evaluation or as the case may arise.
- Some domestic and international travel will be required according to programmatic needs.
- There is a 3 year minimum commitment for this position.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and copies of relevant credentials to firstname.lastname@example.org