INTERSOS, is an independent non-profit humanitarian organization committed to assist the victims of natural disasters and armed conflicts. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, and respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable and unprotected people.
Medical Coordinator (OFDA)
Location: Maiduguri, Borno, with frequent mission on the ground (Ngala, Bama, Dikwa, Monguno, Mobbar and Magumeri LGAs. Further LGAs could be added in the coming weeks / months)
Starting Date: 01/02/2019
Contract Duration: 6 Months
Reporting to: Head of Mission
Supervision of: 3 technical international staff
General Context of the Project
Since 2009, the Boko Haram driven crisis (herein, Armed Opposition Groups [AOGs]) has crippled north eastern Nigeria. The Borno State continues to be most the affected, with over 1.8 million internally displaced persons (IDPs). Recent advances by the Nigerian Army and the Multinational Joint Task Force have improved humanitarian access in 26 of the 27 Local Government Areas (LGAs) in Borno but have also revealed the extent of the crisis. In newly accessible areas, basic infrastructure has been destroyed, essential services are non-existent, and most local governance systems are not functional.
In support to the UN-led coordinated humanitarian response in the region, INTERSOS is proposing to continue provide services through a one-year integrated project that will address critical gaps in health, nutrition, protection and WASH services for a highly vulnerable population in host communities and IDPs camps in the Local Government Areas (LGAs) of Ngala (Ngala-Gambaru), Bama (Bama), Dikwa (Dikwa), Magumeri and Kukawua LGAs, Borno State, Nigeria.
General Purpose of the Position
- In close collaboration with the HoM and the Medical Department, defining and implementing the medical strategy of the mission
- Being responsible for the planning and coordination of all medical activities and resources in the mission, according to INTERSOS charter, policies, and ethical principles with consideration of international and national protocols, in order to ensure the delivery of quality medical care for patients and their communities as well as to improve the health condition and humanitarian living conditions of the target population..
Main Responsibilities and Tasks
- Responsible for defining, monitoring and updating the medical content of the INTERSOS country policy, medical strategy, annual plan and budget, translating the identified health needs into a medical strategic vision and project objectives, priorities and resources needed in order to cover the medical and humanitarian needs of the population at risk, and ensuring that the objectives and goals set in the Mission’s annual plan and project plans are achieved
- Overall responsible for the appropriateness and quality of medical interventions conducted by INTERSOS projects and being expected to identify and work on removing barriers to better patient safety, effective medical care, and better patient-centred activities
- Continuously monitor the medical and humanitarian needs in the Mission country in new areas of intervention or in areas where INTERSOS is already present through exploratory missions, monitor and review project proposals, determining necessary resources in order to define health and nutrition priorities and potential new programs to cover medical and humanitarian needs of the population at risk
- Coordinate with the Medical Referent for the validation of the project proposals he/her designs to be submitted to international donors and private foundation
- Responsible for the supervision and monitoring of the medical technical aspects, humanitarian needs and in coordination with the Logistics Coordinator, the material aspects of the programmes through regular field visits, analysing difficulties during the implementation and reporting deviations as they appear, in order to proactively provide the necessary solutions and achieve operational results
- In close collaboration with the HR Coordinator, participate in the planning, definition and sizing of the health-workforce in the mission and supervise the associated processes (recruitment, validation of medical staff, training/induction, evaluation, potential detection, development and internal / external communication)
- Coach and directly support the medical teams in the implementation of the medical activities making sure that internal protocols are respected as well as the ones of local Ministry and Health Department
- Responsible for defining and sizing other resources (pharmacy and medical equipment management in collaboration with logistics) and timelines, procedures and protocols
- Ensuring preparation of all medical orders in collaboration with the Logistics Department and the submission of all medical purchase requests. Being accountable for the proper management of the pharmacy in the Mission, including projects
- Provide reports on the mission’s evolution from the medical perspective, as required
- Represent INTERSOS before local medical authorities and guarantee constant presence and active participation to the health and nutrition coordination fora (clusters meetings, other technical coordination meetings) and keep regular contact with other counterparts in the mission (NGOs, local organizations, donors, authorities) in order to broaden the medical-humanitarian situation analysis, strengthening the impact of the medical intervention and supporting advocacy actions
- Responsible for medical data collection, analysis and reporting to HQ Medical Referent to ensure a proper monitoring of the program and, where needed, to adapt them to existing programs.
- Advanced University Degree in Medicine or other Paramedical Studies.
- Desirable specialization in Tropical Medicine or a Degree in Public Health
- Minimum 3 years relevant work experience as Medical referent in the humanitarian sector especially in fragile and unstable environments
- Previous experience in Nigeria and/or Western and Central Africa is an asset
- Sound personal organizational skills, including time management, ability to meet deadlines, multi-tasking, prioritization of tasks, and working under pressure
- Highly developed cultural awareness and ability to work well in an international multiethnic and multicultural environment
- Proven management and leadership skills.
- Ability to deliver high quality work in short periods of time
- Ability to work under pressure
- Flexibility to respond to changing nature of humanitarian context and operational difficulties in the field
- Proficiency in English (conversation, reading and writing) required
- Multi-language knowledge desirable
- Willingness to accept basic living standard and frequent field missions
- Ability to establish collaborative relationships with staff, beneficiaries and other stakeholders
- Strong attitude to take initiative, work autonomously and achieve effectively results
- Respect of INTERSOS mission and values.
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.