Nigeria Centre for Disease Control Federal Ministry of Health Public Health Advisory
Stay Conscious of Lassa Fever.
It is the Dry Season, When Lassa Fever Transmission is at Highest.
Things to Note:
1. ANY FEVER CAN BE LASSA FEVER
* Lassa Fever is caused by a virus. It can present with fever just like malaria. Those affected may have hav close contact with another patient or surface contaminated with the virus.
* Other symptoms of Lassa fever are headache, sore throat and in rare cases bleeding from the eyes, ears or nostrils.
* If you experience ant fever, report to the closest health facility. Avoid self-medication.
2. GOOD HYGIENE AND SANITATION HELPS
* Lassa Fever is cintagious. It can spread from infected persons, infected rodents, contaminated surfaces or contaminated food.
* Wash your hands at all times clean all surfaces with bleach, wash and cook all food items properly before eating, avoid contact with rodents.
3. EARLY REPORTING SAVES LIFE
* A person suffering from Lassa Fever may have contact with relatives or care givers and transmit the virus.
* To stop further transmission of the disease, all contacts of an infected person must be folloewd up for 21 days. That is how we confirm they were not infected.
* All contacts are required to report early for follow up.
4. RAISE INDEX OF SUSPICION
* For health workers across Nigeria, there must be a high index of suspicion.
* Epidemiology has shown that more cases are recorded during the dry season in Nigeria.
* All febrile illnesses should be handled with care. The next one may be Lassa Fever.
* Ensure standard Precautions are practiced in your health facility.
Report all suspected Lassa Fever cases to your local Disease Surveillance and Notification Officer.
NEW YEAR PROMO: Invitation To A 3 Day Nursing Clinical Skills Practice Workshop (3 CEU, Suturing, BLS, ACLS, Advaned ECG, Airway Mgt)
Join the Medicalworld Nigeria Telegram group for latest Medical updates, news and jobs!!
Medicalworld Nigeria Recruiting Medical Professionals for an Oil and Gas Contracting Firm ITT. Click HERE to Apply!!