The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to people affected by war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home
Position: Health Officer (Supervisor)
Location: MMC (Magumeri), Borno
Scope of Work
- The Health Officer (Supervisor) is responsible for implementing activities in the allocated Magumeri, and works in partnership with the LGA health counterpart.
- The Health Officer (Supervisor) reports to the team leader or Health Manager.
- The Health Manager will directly supervise the position.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Establish effective work relationship with the LGA health focal person and provide support and guidance in the joint implementation of the activities.
- Conduct capacity assessments at health facilities, develop training plan and implement accordingly.
- Conduct regular joint supervision to the health facilities, organize meetings with staff and community health committees and facilitate in problem solving and provide support to action plans that are within the scope of the program.
- Establish and/or support a robust supplies management system within the LGA in collaboration with the pharmacist.
- Support and guide on the use of the HMIS and IDSR tool at the facilities and at the LGA health office, conduct data review session’s analysis with the health staff monthly.
- Facilitate regular meetings with the LGA health department, other stakeholders and communities in support of improving access and coverage of health services within the LGA.
- Facilitate training of LGA health department and community leaders on emergency preparedness and response.
- Distribute Medicines and supplies according to the distribution plan and monitor the proper use of equipment and commodities distributed.
- Compile weekly activity reports and submit to health manager.
- Support community sensitization activities at the clinics and in the communities, in collaboration with the community mobilizer and community volunteers.
- Ensure health basic protocols and other IEC materials are well displayed in the facilities.
- Establish effective referral mechanism between the facilities to the hospital Maintain vigilance and monitor surroundings for security of the mobile team on site and adhere to IRCs safety and security protocols.
Human Resource Management:
- Work together with the Nurse-Midwife and community mobilizer in the LGA.
- Jointly with the team, provide ongoing education for clinic staff and
Communication and Reporting:
- Support Health Manager and LGA focal person in compiling statistical reports from the facilities for submission weekly, monthly and annually.
- Ensure adequate flow of information for all supervisees with constant feedback as may be required.
- Carry out other relevant or requested duties as may be required.
Key Result Areas
- Improvement of key health indicators mainly maternal mortality ratio, neonatal mortality ratio, and community population coverage.
- Increased uptake of health services as a strategy of reducing mortality
- Increased uptake of positive practices related to health, nutrition and hygiene.
- Strengthened health system within the state and LGA.
- Community volunteers actively participate in health services within their community.
- Registered Health Clinical Officer/ Nurse
- A mature person of high professional discipline and moral integrity, able to work under stress as the situation may dictate.
- Must possess the practicing license or qualifying certificate.
- Certificate in reproductive health or nutrition is an added advantage.
- Two to three years’ experience in clinical medicine or public health.
- Proven experience in working with government counterparts in the delivery of health services.
- Experience in community based programming with the ability to motivate health workers. an
- Ability to work with displaced communities with diverse cultural and ethnic backgrounds.
- Experience in working in a team and able to lead a team.
- Flexible to travel and work in different locations.
- Ability to speak local languages will be added advantage.
- Proficiency in computer skills, especially in MS Word and Excel is an added advantage.
- The position will be based in Borno State. The security situation in Borno is relatively stable with periodic tensions. All IRC offices are provided with internet facilities and there is reliable mobile telecommunication network in Borno.
Monthly salary, 13Month Salary Inclusive, Health Insurance Coverage for Family, Pension, Creche Facilities available for Women with babies under 24 Months.
Applicants should submit their Applications addressed to the "Human Resources Coordinator" via: IRCNigeria.Recruitment@rescue.org Subject of the application should read: "Health Officer (Supervisor), Magumeri"
- All applications should be submitted online.
- Only shortlisted candidate will be contacted for an interview.
Application Closing Date:
4th December, 2018
Method of Application
Use the email(s) below to apply.
- Health Officer (Supervisor) - IRCNigeria.Recruitment@rescue.org