COMMUNIQUÉ ISSUED AT THE END OF A ONE-DAY MEETING OF THE CENTRAL WORKING COMMITTEE (CWC) OF THE ASSOCIATION OF HEALTH RECORDS PRACTITIONERS OF NIGERIA (AHRPN) HELD ON THURSDAY THE 24TH OF AUGUST 2017 AT THE COLLEGE OF HEALTH TECHNOLOGY, CALABAR, CROSS RIVER STATE
The Association of Health Records Practitioners of Nigeria (AHRPN), a professional body for health records practitioners in Nigeria held a meeting of the Central Working Committee (CWC) on the 24th August 2017 at the main hall of College of Health Technology, Calabar, Cross River State. The Committee, which is the second highest decision making organ of the association after AGM is composed of one hundred and four (104) stakeholders in health records practice in Nigeria.
Participants at the meeting, based on the provisions of the association’s Constitution included but not limited to members of the National Executive Council (NEC), Chairmen and Secretaries of State Branches nationwide, Registrar/CEO of Health Records Officers’ Registration Board of Nigeria (HRORBN), Chairman BoT of the Association, Zonal Coordinators, Two Representatives of Training Institutions, Two representatives of Healthcare Facilities, Representatives of Technical/Interest groups, Representatives of the Armed Forces, Representatives of Nigeria Police among others.
In the course of the epoch-making meeting of stakeholders, the following points were the highlight of discourse:
i. Constitutional composition of the CWC
ii. Updates by the six Zonal Coordinators and State Branches
iii. National Programmes of the Association for the last quarter of 2017
iv. National Programmes of the Association for 2018
v. Presentation of Budget for the last quarter of 2017
vi. Database/ Website design and management of members identification number
vii. Standing and Ad-Hoc committees
viii. Membership annual dues
At the end of the deliberations on the highlighted points, the following resolutions were reached:
1. Composition of the Central Working Committee: The meeting formally adopted and approved the newly constituted 104 membership of the Central Working Committee, which cut across ranks and files of the profession. The meeting also noted that these membership are in three categories; permanent, temporary and transitory.
2. Formation and transformation of State Branches: The zonal and state reports given at the meeting revealed that most states in the country have transformed into AHRPN. In this line, the meeting mandated the NEC to see to the immediate inauguration of these identified branches to ensure formidable branches nationwide.
3. AHRPN National Programmes for the last quarter of 2017: The meeting gave approval for the outlined programmes to be carried out in the last quarter of 2017. These programmes includes, but not limited to the establishment of a National Register for members, launching of a Nationwide campaign against indiscipline and unprofessionalism among other activities.
4. National Scientific Convention 2018: In a bid to evoke nationwide spread of professional activities, Jigawa State was accorded the hosting right for 2018 National Conference/AGM. In the same vein, zonal coordinators were encouraged to organize zonal conferences for those who may not have the opportunity to attend the national session and in order to bridge the gap within the year.
5. Presentation of budget for the last Quarter of 2017: Budget for the last quarter of 2017 was not ready as certain elements that should have formed part of the budget were not captured. As such, the CWC agreed that the budget presentation be deferred to the next AGM.
6. Membership Unique Number (MUN), Website, Database and Professional Audit: The meeting applauded the ongoing effort by the National Executive Council (NEC) at ensuring formal registration of members across the thirty six states and FCT. The meeting reasoned that this singular attempt is capable of entrenching membership authentication and integrity. The exercise will ensure that each member is allocated a Membership Unique Number (MUN), which will give the basis for periodic professional auditing. The NEC’s plan to design and maintain the association’s Website and Database was given approval.
7. National AHRPN Awareness Campaign: The CWC unanimously agreed to immediately kick off the professional reorientation programme tagged ‘Operation Stop Quackery’. The campaign will set target for the complete eradication of quackery and unprofessionalism in Health Records practice in Nigeria.
8. Constitution of Standing and Ad-Hoc Committees: To evolve a vibrant professional Association, the meeting approved the constitution of the following committees:
i. Constitution Review Committee
ii. Editorial Board
iii. Elders Forum
iv. Ethics and Disciplinary Committee
v. Mandatory Continuing Professional Education Committee
vi. Privileges Committee
vii. Professional Standards, Compliance and Enforcement Committee
viii. Inauguration of Professional Vanguards Team (PVT)
9. Membership Annual Dues: The CWC approved payment of Twelve Thousand Naira (
N12,000.00) as annual due by each member through the Chapter, the State Branch down to the National body. The meeting approved a sharing formula in the ratio of 50:20:30 to National, State and Chapter respectively.
10. AHRPN Scientific Journal: The need to conduct scientific research was admitted by the meeting, as one measure to promote teaching and learning in health records and information management. To this end, the meeting approved all processes that will lead to the actualization and publication of a scientific journal of international repute by AHRPN.
The participants expressed their satisfaction at the zeal and commitment of the National Executive Council (NEC) of the association since assumption of office in May 2017. The Council on its part called on members nationwide to be proactive, show professional discipline and respect for laws and ethics of the Profession.