The United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) - For 60 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children's survival, protection and development. The world's largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world's leading children's rights organization would like to hear from you.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Nutrition Officer
Job Number: 494626
Location: Borno, Nigeria
Work Type : Temporary Appointment, 364days
Purpose of the Post
The Nutrition officer provides professional technical, operational and administrative assistance throughout the programming process for the nutrition programs/projects through the application of theoretical and technical skills in researching, collecting, analyzing and presenting technical program information while learning organizational rules, regulations and procedures to support the development and formulation of the Nutrition programs in Borno states.
Key Accountabilities and Duties & Tasks
Support to program development and planning:
* Conduct/update situation analysis for the program sector/s for development, design and management of nutrition related programs/projects. Research and report on development trends (e.g. political social, economic, nutrition, health) for higher management use to enhance program management, efficiency and delivery of results.
* Contribute to the development/establishment of sectoral program goals, objectives and strategies and results-based planning through analysis of nutrition needs and areas for intervention and submission of recommendations for priority and goal setting.
* Provide technical and operational support throughout all stages of programming processes by executing/administering a variety of technical program transactions, preparing materials/documentations and complying with organizational processes and management systems, to support program planning, results based planning (RBM) and monitoring and evaluating results.
* Prepare required documentations/materials to facilitate the program review and approval process.
Program management, monitoring and delivery of results:
* Work closely and collaboratively with internal and external colleagues and partners to discuss operational and implementation issues, provide solutions, recommendations and/or alert appropriate officials and stakeholders for higher-level intervention and/or decision. Keep record of reports and assessments for easy reference and/or to capture and institutionalize lessons learned.
* Participate in monitoring and evaluation exercises, program reviews and annual reviews with government and other counterparts to assess programs/projects and to report on required action/interventions at the higher level of program management.
* Monitor and report on the use of sectoral program resources (financial, administrative and other assets), verify compliance with approved allocation/goals, organizational rules, regulations/procedures and donor commitments, standards of accountability and integrity. Report on issues identified to ensure timely resolution by management/stakeholders. Follow up on unresolved issues to ensure resolution.
* Prepare regular/mandated sectoral program/project reports for management, donors and partners to keep them informed of program progress.
Technical and operational support to program implementation:
* Conduct regular program field visits and surveys and/or exchange information with partners/stakeholders to assess progress and provide technical support, take appropriate action to resolve issues and/or refer to relevant officials for resolution. Report on critical issues, bottlenecks and potential problems for timely action to achieve results.
* Provide technical and operational support to government counterparts, NGO partners, UN system partners and other country office partners/donors on the application and understanding of UNICEF policies, strategies, processes and best practices on nutrition and related issues to support program implementation, operations and delivery of results.
Networking and partnership building:
* Build and sustain effective close working partnerships with nutrition sector government counterparts and national stakeholders through active sharing of information and knowledge to facilitate program implementation and build capacity of stakeholders to achieve program goals and social justice, equity and rights of mothers, newborn and children.
* Draft communication and information materials for CO program advocacy to promote awareness, establish partnership/alliances and support fund raising for nutrition programs.
* Participate in appropriate inter-agency (UNCT) meetings/events on programming to collaborate with inter-agency partners/colleagues on UNDAF operational planning and preparation of nutrition programs/projects and to integrate and harmonize UNICEF position and strategies with the UNDAF development and planning process.
* Research information on potential donors and prepare resource mobilization materials and briefs for fund raising and partnership development purposes.
Innovation, knowledge management and capacity building:
* Identify, capture, synthesize and share lessons learned for knowledge development and to build the capacity of stakeholders.
* Apply innovative approaches and promote good practice to support the implementation and delivery of concrete and sustainable program results.
* Research, benchmark and report on best and cutting edge practices for development planning of knowledge products and systems.
* Participate as resource person in capacity building initiatives to enhance the competencies of clients/stakeholders.
Minimum Qualifications and Competencies
* A University Degree in Nutrition, Public Health, Nutritional Epidemiology, Global/International Health and Nutrition, Health/Nutrition Research, Policy and/or Management, Health Sciences, Nutritional Epidemiology or other health related science field is required.
* Minimum of 2 years of professional experience in public health, nutrition, knowledge /data management or related field in developing country context.
* Experience of nutrition data collection, with extensive experience, compiling and analysing quantitative data and producing relevant graphical representations of analysed data.
* Proven experience in synthesizing relevant information and developing reports on time against set deadlines for the dissemination of key findings to technical and non-technical audiences.
* Fluency in English language is required.
* Competency Profile
Core Values (Required):
Core Competencies (required):
* Working with people
* Drive for result
Functional Competencies (Required):
* Formulating strategies and concepts
* Planning and organizing
* Applying technical expertise
* Specific Technical Knowledge
* Professional technical knowledge in Data Collection
* Advanced knowledge of Microsoft office (MS Excel, MS Word, MS PowerPoint etc.)
* Experience in survey methodologies, nutrition assessment and skills to use different software to manage data properly such as EpiData, EpiInfo, STATA, ENA, SPSS
* Current knowledge of the latest developments and technology in the field.
* Detail-oriented ability to work at a fast pace and meet deadlines
* Ability to plan, coordinate and manage multiple tasks and adjust to changing priorities.
* Leadership and ability to work with people.
* Strong drive for result.
* Strong communication and writing skills
Application Closing Date
28th April, 2016.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
CLICK HERE TO ATTEND: Offshore/ Onshore Medic HSE Certificate Course for Doctors, Nurses, Paramedics and Healthcare Professionals
GET THE AMERICAN HEART ASSOCIATION FIRST AID CPR AED CERTIFICATE
Join the Medicalworld Nigeria Telegram group for latest Medical updates, news and jobs!!