The United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) - For 60 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children's survival, protection and development. The world's largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world's leading children's rights organization would like to hear from you.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Communication for Development Specialist
Job Number: 494619
Location: Ondo, Nigeria
Work Type : Fixed Term Staff
Purpose of the Position
Under the general guidance of the supervisor, and in close coordination with the Communication Specialist, responsible for the design, formulation, management, execution, monitoring and evaluation of a behavioural change and social mobilization strategy, plan of action and programme activities in support of the country programme.
Key Expected Results
* Programme communication strategy and plan of action strategically developed and formulated, and the implementation effectively managed, facilitated and executed for social and behavioural change in support of efficient and effective programme delivery.
* Culturally relevant programme communication materials designed, pre-tested, and produced timely, meeting requirements and quality standards.
* Strong partnerships with community groups, leaders and other partners in the community and civil society developed and enhanced for promotion of participation in social and behavioural changes supportive of programme goals.
* Effective training materials and activities organized, developed and implemented to build capacity in participatory and behaviour communication at various government levels.
* Technical support effectively provided with government counterparts in the development and effective use of communication for social development.
* Monitoring and evaluation of programme activities and preparation of reports timely and properly undertaken. Findings, experiences, lessons learned, best practices and new methods effectively shared with government officials, programme staff, and other partners.
* Budget properly planned, monitored and controlled, ensuring allocated funds optimally appropriated.
Key Accountabilities and Duties & Tasks
Programme communication programme strategy, plan and implementation for behavioural change:
* Designs, manages, and facilitates the implementation of programme communication strategy, plan of action and activities for strategic communication and promotion for social and behavioural change in support of country programme delivery.
* In collaboration with UNICEF management and decision makers and planners of government, donor organizations and the private sector, the Communication for Development Specialist designs, manages and facilitates the implementation of communication policy, strategy and plans of action aiming at general public and service providers through:
* Behaviour development/change at individual/household levels;
* Social mobilization of civil society organizations; and
* Increased community participation in development programmes for positive social change.
* Makes viable recommendations on operational strategies in the areas of participatory communication, social mobilization and behaviour change and on appropriate materials and media to reach target audiences.
Programme communication materials:
* Organizes the research, development, pre-testing, and production of culturally relevant communication materials.
* In collaboration with partners, the Communication for Development Specialist organizes and manages the formative research, development, pre-testing and production of culturally relevant communication materials to ensure effective and efficient programme delivery, including facilitating behaviour change, where necessary.
* Supports the UNICEF global communications objectives and strategies through development of complementary country specific and local community materials.
* Ensures the quality, consistency and appropriateness of communication materials that are developed, produced, and disseminated to local communities, government officials, other partners and the press.
Partnerships for social mobilization:
* Develops and enhances strong partnerships with community groups, leaders and other partners in the community and civil society for promotion of participation in social and behavioural changes supportive of programme goals.
* Develops partnerships with various religious groups, traditional leaders, teachers, artists and other organized groups in the community, as well as civil society organizations, to orient them on country programme goals and to solicit their involvement in the implementation of the country programme.
* Promotes a better understanding of children's and women's issues by assisting in or managing a country level behaviour change and social mobilization strategy supportive of effective and efficient programme delivery.
* Promotes and influences behaviour development/change at individual/ household levels, social mobilization of civil society organizations and increased community participation in development programmes.
Capacity building support:
* Develops training materials and activities to build capacity for participatory and behaviour change communication.
* Develops training materials and activities to build capacity in participatory and behaviour change communication for personnel who are involved in the planning, implementation and evaluation of programme communication intervention, in support of programme sustainability.
Coordination and collaboration with government and partners:
* Provides effective coordination and technical support to government counterparts and other partners in the development and strategic use of communication for social development.
* Coordinates with government counterparts in the development and appropriate use of communication for social development aimed at both individual behaviour change and collective action. Provide technical support as required.
* Collaborates with government officials, community leaders, UN, and bilateral agencies and NGOs in the organization of activities, operational research, advocacy and exchange of information and ideas supportive of programme communication goals and strategies.
Monitoring and evaluation:
* Monitor and evaluate programme activities and prepare monitoring and evaluation reports. Exchange findings, experiences, lessons learned and new methods with partners.
* Monitors and evaluates programme activities on the basis of applied communication research and frequent visits to project sites.
* Analyzes and evaluates data to ensure compliance and achievement of objectives and recommend corrective action, when necessary, to meet programme/project objectives. Prepares monitoring and evaluation reports in accordance with the established guidelines, methods and procedures. Provides technical advice to programme staff, government officials and other counterparts, and coordinates and manages the evaluative elements of country programme milestone meetings, such as mid-term reviews, strategy meetings, previews and reviews and annual reviews.
* Disseminates communication research findings, ensures exchanges and sharing of experience, lessons learned, best practices, and new methods to government officials, programme staff, and other UNICEF partners.
Budget planning and management of program funds:
* Participate in the budget planning and ensure the compliance and the optimal appropriation of allocated programme funds.
* Participates in and contributes to the budget and programme review and planning. Establishes programme work plans, allocation of resources, and monitors progress and compliance.
* Monitors the overall allocation and disbursement of programme funds, making sure that funds are properly coordinated, monitored and liquidated.
Takes appropriate actions to optimize use of programme funds. Improves programme efficiency, quality and delivery through a rigorous and transparent approach to programme planning, monitoring and evaluation.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
* Advanced university degree in the Social/Behavioural Sciences, (Sociology, Anthropology, Psychology, Health Education) with emphasis on strategic communication planning for behaviour development, social mobilization, participatory communication, and research.
* Minimum five years of progressively responsible professional work experience in the development, planning and management of social development programmes, including several years in developing countries, with practical experience in the adaptation and application of communication planning processes to specific programmes.
* Background/familiarity with emergency operations and staff security.
* Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language or a local language is an asset
Competencies of Successful Candidate
* Diversity and Inclusion
* Working with People
* Drive for Results
* Leading and Supervising
* Formulating Strategies and Concepts
* Relating and Networking
* Persuading and Influencing
* Applying Technical Expertise
* Entrepreneurial Thinking
* Technical Knowledge
Specific Technical Knowledge Required:
* Knowledge of current developments in the fields of : communication theory, motivational psychology, adult learning theory, indigenous media, community organization and participation, strategic communication planning, behaviour analysis, formative research and evaluation of communication interventions.
* Knowledge of inter-disciplinary approach in programme development and implementation in programme communication, social mobilization and behavioural change.
* Knowledge of and experience in emergency operations and management.
* Knowledge of and skills in programme communication networking, advocacy and negotiation.
*Knowledge of training/facilitation and impact evaluation of communication intervention.
* Knowledge and experience to organize and implement training, including development of curricula and methodologies.
* Knowledge of community capacity building.
* Knowledge and experience in the methods of communication to clearly and concisely express ideas and concepts in written and oral form and to listen to and acknowledges others' perspectives and views.
* Computer knowledge, skills and practical experience, including internet navigation, network, telecommunications and various office applications.
Common Technical Knowledge Required:
* UN/UNICEF policy papers, relating to programme communication and programmes
* Executive Directives
* UNICEF programme manuals
* Communication for Development Guidelines
* UNICEF country programme plans
* Government development plans and policies
* UN agency agreements and joint policy papers
* Gender equality and diversity awareness
Technical Knowledge to be Acquired/Enhanced:
* Understanding of UNICEF Mission and UNICEF Guiding Principles.
* Understanding of UNICEF programmatic policies, goals, visions, positions, policies, priorities, strategies and approaches (MDGs, UNDAF, MTSP, etc.).
* Understanding of Rights-based and Results-based approach and programming.
* Understanding of UN mission and system; and International Code of Conduct.
* Understanding of staff welfare and rights of staff members.
* Knowledge of emergency operations and security guidelines.
* Understanding of international humanitarian affairs and humanitarian work.
* Understanding of UNICEF policies and procedures for programming, operations and communication.
* Latest theory, methodology, technology and tools in the functional areas.
* Knowledge of the Programme Policy and Procedure (PPP) manual.
* Knowledge, skills and experience in community capacity building.
* Understanding of government policies, guidelines, legislation and strategies on various subjects.
Application Closing Date
28th April, 2016.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
CLICK HERE TO ATTEND: Offshore/ Onshore Medic HSE Certificate Course for Doctors, Nurses, Paramedics and Healthcare Professionals
GET THE AMERICAN HEART ASSOCIATION FIRST AID CPR AED CERTIFICATE
Join the Medicalworld Nigeria Telegram group for latest Medical updates, news and jobs!!