The mission of WHO is the attainment by all people of the highest possible level of health.
The World Health Organization (WHO) is recruiting to fill the position of:
Title: Medical Officer - Zonal Coordinator
Job No: AFRO/14/FT250
Location: Bauchi, Nigeria
Contract type: Fixed-Term Appointment
Duration of contract: One(01) year
Objectives of the Programme :
The objective of the EPI programme is to support national authorities to provide high quality immunization services that will contribute to (a) the reduction of mortality, morbidity and disability from vaccine preventable diseases through the optimum use of available and new vaccines and (b) the strengthening of national health systems as well as efforts to achieve the Millennium Development Goals.
Description of duties:
The incumbent performs the following duties:
• To support planning and implementation of priority polio eradication activities as elaborated in Nigeria's Emergency Polio Eradication Action Plan 2011 as well as recent recommendation of the GPEI Independent Monitoring Board meeting of July 2011.
• To support national authorities in the states of the zone in preparing, reviewing and/or updating annual state immunization plans for the intensified polio eradication effort including high quality Immunization Plus Days (IPDs) and improving routine immunization coverage through operationalization of the Reaching every Ward (REW) strategic approach as well as through Periodic Intensification of Routine Immunization Activities (PIRI) such as Child Health Weeks and Local Immunization • Days (LIDs). Specific approaches will be developed that are suitable to the insecurity prone areas of the North-East zone.
• To support capacity building activities in support of immunization operations (service delivery, vaccine supply and quality, logistics, surveillance, advocacy and communication), immunization safety and strengthening human and institutional resources.
• To support capacity building activities aimed at the introduction of new and under-utilized vaccines as well as the delivery of immunization activities together with other priority disease control/child survival interventions.
• To support disease surveillance activities within the overall framework of the revised International Health Regulations (2005).
6.To support immunization monitoring and evaluation activities, including operational research.
• To support activities aimed at strengthening partnership and advocacy in support of improving performance of immunization activities.
• Perform other activities as required by WHO Representative.
Essential: Degree in medicine or doctorate in health sciences
Desirable: Post Graduate training in public health or epidemiology from recognized academic institution.
• Ability to work effectively with colleagues at national and international levels;
• Ability to provide leadership, monitor progress and design studies;
• Fully conversant in word-processing, spreadsheet, database, presentation, epidemiological (Epiifo) and mapping software.
• Fostering integration and teamwork;
• Ensuring the effective use of resources;
• Building and promoting partnerships across the organization and beyond;
Essential: At least seven years public health experience and two years field experience in planning, training and implementation of SIAs.
Desirable: Technical expertise in public health, epidemiology, disease control and immunization
Essential: Excellent knowledge of English
Desirable: Working knowledge of French.
Annual salary: (Net of tax)
US$ 67,611 at single rate
US$ 72,605 with primary dependants
Post Adjustment: 70.1 % of the above figure(s). This percentage is to be considered as indicative since variations may occur each month either upwards or downwards due to currency exchange rate fluctuations or inflation.
Application Closing Date
19 June, 2014
How to Apply
Interested candidates should
CLICK HERE TO ATTEND: Offshore/ Onshore Medic HSE Certificate Course for Doctors, Nurses, Paramedics and Healthcare Professionals
GET THE AMERICAN HEART ASSOCIATION FIRST AID CPR AED CERTIFICATE
Join the Medicalworld Nigeria Telegram group for latest Medical updates, news and jobs!!