The Measurement, Learning & Evaluation (MLE) Project for the Urban Reproductive Health Initiative (URHI) is funded by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation to evaluate urban family planning initiatives in four countries. The project focuses on the following main areas:
• Rigorous evaluation of family planning and reproductive health programs in sub-Saharan Africa and South Asia
• Capacity building for monitoring and evaluation of local and regional partners
• Translation of findings into program and policy relevant findings that can be used to inform local, regional, and global family planning programs.
Title: MLE Country Manager - Nigeria
Date: September 2013
Geographic Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Job Level: Manager
The MLE Project' based at the Carolina Population Center (www.urbanreproductivehealth.org}, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, through IntraHealth, has an immediate opening for an MLE Country Manager (CM) in Nigeria. The CM will oversee the field-based survey work of the MLE Project, liaise with the in-country stakeholders and represent MLE at the country level. S/he will work with MLE senior management, the MLE Technical Officers and field-based MLE partners and subcontractors in the implementation and oversight of the surveys and data analysis. The CM will be based in Abuja, Nigeria and reports to the Technical Deputy Director at Carolina Population Center, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. .
Monitor and evaluate the impact of the URHI within and across target countries through the implementation of large-scale household and facility surveys. The CM will support and oversee all in-country research partners and assure compliance with the local ethics committee. S/he will participate in the development of questionnaires, creation of sampling frames, development of training manuals, training of field workers and the pre-testing of survey tools. S/he will ensure high data quality standards at all survey stages; recruit and supervise MLE quality assurance officers and participate in data analysis. S/he will participate in the development of study reports in each country, support the tabulation and analysis of survey data, participate in research and evaluation activities as part of a team of technical experts and participate in the writing and publishing of study results as reports and peer- reviewed publications. S/he will also oversee the storage and management of MLE questionnaires and sensitive data according to UNC and ethics committee policies. www.medicalworldnigeria.com .
Build country and regional capacity to undertake rigorous M&E. The CM will work with UNC in the provision of technical assistance to the in-country stakeholders, in all aspects of the study, including the refinement of tools for data collection, mapping, sampling and training as well as the implementation and oversight of fieldwork, data entry and analysis. S/he will participate with UNC in formal capacity building activities for monitoring and evaluation.
Facilitate knowledge sharing, document and disseminate best practices. The CM will provide monthly detailed narratives to UNC and semi- annual updates on accomplishments in the field for posting on the website. S/he will assist project management to develop donor reports and related materials. S/he will represent the MLE Project at local and national-level meetings on urban RH and act as a focal point for the gathering, recording and reporting of information on the project in the country, preparing information briefs and coordinating responses to requests for information from other internal units and from external parties.
Expand the knowledge base of and evidence on urban RH programs. The CM will participate in the writing of MLE products, including Technical Working Papers, briefs and fact sheets. S/he will document best practices emanating from the intervention and its evaluation. www.medicalworldnigeria.com S/he will give presentations in Nigeria and at regional and global conferences.
Education / Experience Required:
• Master's degree in public health or related discipline with 3 5 years relevant experience or Bachelor's degree in public health or related field with 5 8 years relevant experience required
• Knowledge of survey design, questionnaire development required
• Experience with the management and implementation of large-scale demographic field surveys (household and health facility) required
• Supervisory experience of field enumerators required
• Strong understanding of M&E principles required
• Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills required
• Excellent written and oral communication skills required
• Ability to work independently; manage projects with minimal supervision required
• Demonstrated experience in STATA (or SPSS) and data analysis preferred
• Experience working with donor agencies preferred
• Fluency in English required
Interested candidates should send their cover letters and CVs to email@example.com by October 14, 2013.