ER-008: Emergency Hospital Medical Officer
Department: Emergency Response Team
Essential Job Duties/Scope of Work:
NOTE - THIS POSITION IS TO APPLY TO A STAND BY ROSTER FOR INTERNATIONAL MEDICAL CORPS EMERGENCY RESPONSE TEAM (ERT).
Candidates selected for this position will be placed on the ERT standby roster and may be called when the International Medical Corps ERT responds to an emergency. This position is not compensated unless candidates are responding to an emergency response.
When catastrophe hits, International Medical Corps is often one of the first humanitarian aid organizations on the scene—providing rapid and effective aid that saves lives, reduces suffering, and promotes self reliance.
International Medical Corps has established an International Emergency Roster to ensure that emergency positions are filled in a timely manner with professionally qualified, gender balanced, geographically diverse, linguistically able and a highly motivated corps of professionals. The team includes coordinators, logisticians, doctors and water and sanitation experts. It also includes specialists who focus on protection, prevention of sexual violence and aid for rape survivors and mental health.
Emergency Response Team (ERT) members are always on standby to deploy to a crisis within 72 hours, whether they are launching into new areas or lending support to International Medical Corps teams already on the ground.
International Medical Corps maintains a roster of staff which is updated on regular basis in order to include new staff into the system. This also provides an opportunity for the existing staff to update their areas of expertise and other relevant information.
Through this expression of Interest, applicants are encouraged to submit their profiles so that their information is readily available in the International Medical Corps applicant tracking system.
The primary responsibility of the Hospital Medical Officer is to implement medical services in an emergency hospital setting. Services may include emergency department and medical inpatient ward services.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSABILITIES:
• Implement medical services for emergency affected population according to internationally accepted standards and/or relevant Ministry of Health with focus on controlling communicable diseases.
• Establish/utilize standardized data collection tools and train staff on accurate data collection
• Collect and analyze medical service data to adjust project objectives/plan additional specialized responses (infection prevention/control, ACLS, rational drug use, improved nursing care, etc) in collaboration with Medical Coordinator/Director and other relevant staff
• Work with auxiliary staff to start procedural training programs early
• Conduct daily rounds and case discussions to assist and supervise program staff
• Assist in hiring of necessary staff members
• Analyze training needs and institute training for staff members as required, with an emphasis on hands on training
• Work with Team Leader/HTU to implement standardized internal reporting
• Work with logistics to ensure regular and adequate drug and medical supplies in order to avoid stock outs
• Collaborate with recognized health authorities, health agencies, donors and other stakeholders to utilize standardized reporting practices and information sharing
• Represent and actively participate in coordination meetings and other relevant meetings
• Any other relevant duties as requested by Medical Coordinator/Director/Team Leader
• Assist in the selection and training of qualified program field staff.
SKILLS & REQUIREMENTS:
• Medical degree with at least 3 years experience after medical college graduation; preferably with a post graduate degree in Internal Medicine or Emergency Medicine.
• Minimum of five years of experience required, of which 3 years should be in a hospital setting in a developing country experience or resource deprived environment.
• Previous NGO experience.
• Will have excellent communications skills, both oral and written.
• Will have excellent self-motivation skills.
• Experience in effectively dealing with international and headquarters staff, as well as donor agencies, government officials, and other NGO’s; the ability to work with a broad spectrum of people.
• Ability to exercise sound judgment and make decisions independently.
• Extremely flexible, and have the ability to cope with stressful situations and frustrations.
• Ability to relate to and motivate local staff effectively.
• Creativity and the ability to work with limited resources.
• Excellent decision making skills.
• Must work independently under difficult conditions.
NEW YEAR PROMO: Invitation To A 3 Day Nursing Clinical Skills Practice Workshop (3 CEU, Suturing, BLS, ACLS, Advaned ECG, Airway Mgt)
Join the Medicalworld Nigeria Telegram group for latest Medical updates, news and jobs!!
Medicalworld Nigeria Recruiting Medical Professionals for an Oil and Gas Contracting Firm ITT. Click HERE to Apply!!