Save the Children is a leading international organization helping children in need around the world. First established in the UK in 1919, separate national organizations have been set up in more than twenty-eight countries, sharing the aim of improving the lives of children through education, health care and economic opportunities, as well as emergency aid in cases of natural disasters, war and conflict.
In Nigeria, Save the Children has been working since 2001. The early focus was on getting children actively involved in shaping the decisions that affect their lives. Today, Save the Children is working in seven federal states - Zamfara, Yobe, Jigawa, Katsina, Kano, Bauchi and Kaduna - focusing on providing basic healthcare and protecting children.
We are recruiting suitably qualified candidates to fill the position below:
Position: Nutrition Coordinator
Job Type: Full-time
* This post focuses on FFP emergency/humanitarian programming, but will be expected to contribute to SCI’s dual mandate and support as needed in FFP and other award.
Key Areas of Accountability
* Oversees the implementation of FFP nutrition specific activities and ensuring that the quality standards and state of the art are met;
* Ensures effective start up, management, implementation, monitoring, reporting and evaluation of integrated Nutrition to food security projects;
* Provide support and guidance to the project team and implementing partners; assess training needs, plan & provides training/guidance for staff in setting up new nutrition services;
* Facilitate trainings for nutrition professionals;
* Participating in and/or leading health, nutrition, and/or multi-sectoral assessments as required;
* Manages all Save the Children resources (equipment, supplies, HR) committed to FFP nutrition program activities;
* Conducts regular field visits to provide supportive supervision to the projects;
* Leads the development of work plans, POPs, budgets, and other required program documents for nutrition section;
* Conducts regular field visits and review meetings with government officials to monitor the implementation of FFP-nutrition programs;
* In collaboration with Field Manager, ensure timely preparation and implementation of phase-out strategy
Representation and Communication:
* Represents FFP nutrition and participate in internal coordination and share up-to-date information to Humanitarian nutrition advisor.
* Documents findings and recommendations of field visits for follow-up actions; shares as appropriate.
* Oversees and leads the development and submission of program reports, ensuring completeness, accuracy and timeliness.
* Documents lessons learned in specific technical areas.
Policy Analysis, Policy Engagement and Advocacy for Policy Change:
* Contribute to nutrition learning and research that supports the sector advocacy objectives and lead the implementation research necessary for evidence-based advocacy.
* Represent the organization at all relevant technical external task forces, working groups, seminars or other meetings as approved by the sector head and use these meetings to negotiate strategic, project and advocacy positions.
* Advise the Head of Nutrition and Humanitarian nutrition advisor on the technical and policy content of advocacy plans and support their implementation.
* Develop good relations with other NGOs, development and UN agencies working in the sector and where possible forge alliances to influence key actors around advocacy objectives.
* Be fully aware of national policies, strategies and other initiatives and developments by government and other stakeholders in the sector of thematic area covered.
* Ensure that the voices of children guide advocacy and policy change objectives and related activities.
* Compile, analyze and interpret nutrition response data and provide regular updates to government and NGO coordination bodies as requested, and use the information to justify decisions on further resource allocation.
* Participate in identifying, coordinating, and implementing operational research studies to pilot and scale-up effective direct interventions in coordination with the PDQ Health and Nutrition team and MEAL team.
Programme Quality and Effectiveness:
* Ensure that project officers are meeting both internal and donor technical standards and requirements. This includes oversight of implementation quality, reviewing, editing and signing-off donor reports to ensure they are of an acceptable technical and presentational quality.
* Participate in field-based project monitoring and review meetings.
* Liaise with Programme Operations staff to identify technical support needs of projects and staff, and jointly agree on specific and time bound support needs of projects and staff in relevant technical areas.
* Provide technical training to ensure that the project staff have the necessary skills to technically implement the project.
* Assist project staff in the use of nutrition and cross-cutting tools and guidelines to ensure the quality of work. These include, among others, child participation, child right programming and mainstreaming of gender, diversity and HIV/AIDS.
* Prepare annual work plans, in consultation with deputy manager.
* Undertake regular field visits to project sites to ensure technical quality and timeliness of ongoing work.
* The post holder may be responsible for additional tasks and duties as and when required to support the overall Country Programme, regional and head office priorities.
Qualifications and Experience
* First Degree or M.Sc Degree in Public Health, Nursing, Nutrition or related health fields with a minimum of 5 years works experience in the nutrition the area of emergency nutrition in NGO environment.
* Strong analysis and writing skills
* Certificate in monitoring and evaluation, nutrition in humanitarian context, CMAM, IYCF, or any other related topics.
* Experience in working with government counterparts and other partners at various levels -
* Excellent understanding of the relevant thematic sector in Nigeria at both field and policy levels; including the national nutrition program and well as CMAM programming
* Proven experience in emergency nutrition projects
* Familiarity with nutrition donors, partners, and NGO groups
* Practical understanding of the challenges and opportunities in realising children’s rights in Nigeria, in relation to thematic area
* Understanding of advocacy and representation within the nutrition sector
* Demonstrable experience in M&E
* Good presentation and facilitation skills
* Proven conceptual skills and an ability to think and plan strategically
* Good communication and interpersonal skills and an ability to train and mentor staff
* Proven ability to manage a complex and demanding workload
* Excellent spoken and written English and local language (North east of Nigeria)
* Good computer skills (particularly Excel, Word and databases)
* Experience in nutrition project data management and IYCF programing
* Having an operational experience will be a plus advantage.
* Skills and Behaviours (SCI Values in Practice)
* Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
* Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities - giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
* Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves (and their team), takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others to do the same
* Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
* Future orientated, thinks strategically
* Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners and supporters
* Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
* Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
* Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
* Willing to take disciplined risks
* Honest, encourages openness and transparency
Application Closing Date
12th January, 2018.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
NEW: Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support Course (ACLS) 2018 Training Schedule
CLICK: American Heart Association AHA Basic Life Support BLS Course 2018 Schedule
2018 TRAINING SCHEDULE: American Heart Association First Aid CPR AED Course
Join the Medicalworld Nigeria Telegram group for latest Medical updates, news and jobs!!
NOW YOU CAN BE THE REPORTER: Submit your story, news reports, articles, pictures, events and press release to us via Watsapp/ Telegram (08105233399) or Email (firstname.lastname@example.org) | Follow us on Twitter @Medicalworld
Medicalworld Nigeria Recruiting Medical Professionals for an Oil and Gas Contracting Firm ITT. Click HERE to Apply!!