International Medical Corps (IMC) is a global, humanitarian, non-profit organization dedicated to saving lives and relieving suffering through health care training, relief and development programs. Established in 1984 by volunteer doctors and nurses, International Medical Corps is a private, voluntary, non-political, non-sectarian organization. Its mission is to improve the quality of life through health interventions and related activities that build local capacity in underserved communities worldwide. By offering training and health care to local populations and medical assistance to people at highest risk, and with the flexibility to respond rapidly to emergency situations.
International Medical Corps has been operating in Nigeria since November 2013. It currently has its country office in Abuja and field offices in Kano, Sokoto and Maiduguri where it is implementing emergency Water, Sanitation, Hygiene (WASH) and Protection programs, and also building capacity of local health systems and structures, ensuring the provision of quality, accessible Nutrition and Health Care. Currently IMC Nigeria has 7 field offices with more than 200 staff with a possibility of further growth.
Position: Health Manager
* Under the Supervision of the Emergency Program Coordinator, the Health Manager will be responsible for designing, planning and providing technical leadership in the implementation of IMC Health activities.
* He/She will closely work with the Health team, IDPs and all stakeholders (mainly Ministry of Health/ Primary Healthcare Development Agency) to ensure efficient delivery of safe health services in the assigned areas.
* To take the lead in designing, managing and implementing IMC Health programs in Nigeria
* Work closely with the Emergency Program Coordinator, senior management and field teams to determine the operational needs of the medical/health program
Work closely with the Emergency Program Coordinator to determine the training needs of IMC and health program partner’s staff and develop a capacity building plan to address the gaps.
* Collaborate with the national health authorities and relevant international health agencies for the development of an approved curriculum to meet training needs as identified in the project area
* Work with the program team and health teams to design and implement a reporting system to monitor and evaluate the objectives, indicators and outcomes of the country programs as well as trends in mortality and morbidity
* Work with government health authorities and international agencies such as WHO to ensure implementation of standardized national health information systems
* Work with the Emergency Program Coordinator, field teams, partner agencies and national health authorities for outbreak preparedness and contingency planning
* Work with Emergency Program Coordinator, senior management and field teams to plan for future program directions in terms of beneficiary needs, new sites, and / or new programs
* Work with Emergency program coordinator and management team to draft concepts for future funding following the protocols and formats of each relevant donor
* Work with field teams and logistics to procure drugs in a timely manner to ensure adequate supply based on site consumption while adhering to national drug protocols and program budgets
* Analyse pharmacy reports to monitor drug consumption per site and adjust program as needed
* Support the Emergency Programme Coordinator in planning and programme development and application of management tools including the Budget Monitoring Tool.
* Contribute towards development of relevant health policies, protocols and guidelines to be implemented within the health program at Field/country level.
* Contribute towards development of programme implementation approaches, strategies and the overall Country Programme Strategy
* Carry out any other reasonable duties as requested by the Emergency Programme Coordinator.
Logistics and Budget Management:
* Provide input in the review of health/medical related procurement requests, approve where appropriate and follow up with the Logistics/Procurement for timely delivery
* Support the Health Teams in developing and reviewing activity based budgets for all Health Program and program support components
* Review and monitor all health expenditure on budgets in coordination with the Emergency program coordinator
* Review and approve as per authorization level, all health related cash requests from health/medical team in the field
* Support logistics in developing technical tender/bid documents related to Health Infrastructure constructions, consultancies and conduct technical evaluation of the same.
* Ensure all activities are carried out in accordance with local government procedures (e.g. site selection) and do not duplicate or interfere with activities proposed or carried out by the UN or other NGO
* Liaise with other organizations engaged in similar activities in Nigeria, including the government authorities, UN and other NGO
* Liaise closely with the Emergency programme coordinator to ensure good integration and synergy of all programme activities.
* Represent International Medical Corps in external related forums when called upon by the Programme Coordinators or the Country Director.
Capacity Building and Human Resource Management:
* Directly manage the health team and ensure that program activities are completed within the specified timeframe and to acceptable level of technical and program quality
* Conduct annual staff appraisals to the Health Officer in collaboration with the Emergency Program Coordinator as well as review all Appraisals for staff under the Health Officer
* Facilitate Staff Training on areas of Technical Capacity Gaps as captured in the Appraisals
* Support Field Health Team in Capacity Building of the Target Communities, partners ( Ministry of Health), community health workers and Local Authority where necessary
* Compile data/ information for health related donor reports in close coordination with field teams, the M&E Officer/ Manager and the Emergency Program Coordinator
* Support the health team to deliver weekly/bi-weekly updates (OFDA) in a timely manner.
* Compile all WASH monthly reports (internal) in close coordination with the M&E teamwork with M&E team to develop WASH Indicator Monitoring and Evaluation Tools and review the same regularly to adjust to program Requirements.
Qualification and Experience
* Medical degree; preferably with a Master’s in Public Health
* Experience in health/Medical programs at the Manager level relating to primary health care, maternal and child health, reproductive health, and communicable and non- communicable diseases in displaced populations
* Minimum of three (3) years of experience required, of which 1 to 2 years should be with an INGO implementing health/Medical programs for displaced populations
* Previous experience of implementing health programs for displaced populations
* Demonstrated analytical and conceptual skills to plan projects, timetable agreed activities and oversee activities
* Skills and knowledge in program sustainability and capacity building, public-private partnerships and project monitoring and evaluation (both quantitative and qualitative methods).
* Ability to implement effective projects with sometimes limited resources.
* Excellent computer skills including familiarity with Microsoft Office
* Excellent coordination skills and familiarity humanitarian coordination structures and the cluster system/ emergency sector working groups
* Ability and willingness to work in remote areas, with quickly changing security conditions (this position will be based in Maiduguri, Borno State, North East Nigeria).
* Outgoing personality with excellent communication skills.
* Good team player, flexible and capable of working with the team.
* Experience managing emergency response donor funded projects ( ECHO/ OFDA)
Application Closing Date:
24 May, 2017
Method of Application
Applicants should send their applications and CV's addressed to the "Human Resource Manager", International Medical Corps via: email@example.com
* Candidates MUST state the position and location they are applying for as the subject of their email, otherwise applications will not be considered.
* Application letter and curriculum vitae should be in a single Microsoft Word Document.
* Only Short-listed candidates will be contacted.
* Position advertised is a National position.
Join the Medicalworld Nigeria Telegram group for latest Medical updates, news and jobs!!
NOW YOU CAN BE THE REPORTER: Submit your story, news reports, articles, pictures, events and press release to us via Watsapp/ Telegram (08105233399) or Email (firstname.lastname@example.org) | Follow us on Twitter @Medicalworld
FEELING BORED? Read Funny, Weird and Odd Stories, CLICK HERE!!!
Medicalworld Nigeria Recruiting Medical Professionals for an Oil and Gas Contracting Firm ITT. Click HERE to Apply!!