For more than 30 years, Médecins du Monde, a campaigning medical organisation committed to international solidarity, has been caring for the most vulnerable populations at home and abroad. It has continued to highlight obstacles that exist in accessing health care and has secured sustainable improvements in health-for-all policies. Those working for this independent organisation do not solely dispense care and treatment but condemn violations of human dignity and rights and fight to improve matters for populations living in precarious situations. MdM currently works in 44 countries across all continents where it focuses on 4 priority areas: caring for the health of migrants and displaced persons, promoting sexual and reproductive health, harm reduction associated with drug use, emergencies and crisis.
Violence in the northeast Nigeria has caused massive displacement and at the same time restricted movement: it has disrupted food supplies, seriously hindered access to basic services, and limited agricultural activities. In seven years of conflict, over 20,000 people have been killed in Boko Haram-related incidents. The entire population of northeast Nigeria – 24.5 million people – is indirectly affected. People affected by violence in Adamawa, Borno, and Yobe, and neighbouring Bauchi, Taraba, and Gombe states are in urgent need of protection, shelter, food, and access to health services and education. Since February 2016, as humanitarian access is increasing, extreme food insecurity and malnutrition conditions have been revealed in Borno state.
As of 3rd August, 1.82 million people are estimated to be displaced within/from of Borno state, from which 1.63 million actually stayed within the state. Most of them (more than 1.2m) are living in Maiduguri with the host community and others in formal and informal camps.
MdM is starting an emergency response to this crisis, in the Borno state and is looking for experienced human resources to join our team on the field in the coming weeks.
MENTAL HEALTH AND PSYCHOSOCIAL SERVICES COORDINATION (M/F) NIGERIA
Contract : Fixedterm contract
Duration : 6 months
Starting date: ASAP
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under the supervision of the general coordinator, you will be responsible for coordinating the main activities in order to ensure the quality of MHPSS in the field.
More precisely, you will:
- Effectively manage daily program, including planning, implementation, monitoring, evaluating, and reporting. Conduct routine project needs assessments and program reviews to ensure successful implementation and donor compliance.
- Manage MHPSS Dept. and subsequent team ensuring there is adequate coverage during periods of absence, training needs are met and performance evaluated.
- Provide direct technical support and capacity building to MDM MHPSS national staff, in training development, in program implementation, and developing strategic direction of our programs in Nigeria, with support from MDM Medical advisor.
- Develop the strategy and mechanisms to integrate a mental health and psychosocial support into MDM programs in keeping with IASC guidelines of mental health and psychosocial support in emergencies.
- Establish systematic data collection for reports.
- Take a lead in writing MHPSS section of all donor reports.
- Manage the MHPSS team, including their recruitment, evaluation and training.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE NEEDED:
- Clinical Psychology Degree
- Significant experience on a similar position
- Experience working in intercultural context
- Knowledge of public health issues
- Training and supervision experience required
- Strong organizational and supervisory skills
- Capacity to create relationships with the communities
- Ability to create tools and monitoring process
- Honest, hardworking and a selfmotivated person
- Proven pedagogical and psychological technical expertise
- Patience and stress management
- Ability to work with minimum support
- Reactivity, anticipation, adaptability and capacity to take initiatives to changing requirements
- Good communication skills
- Team spirit
English: fluent written and spoken
French is an asset
You are committed to MdM’s values as an organisation and motivated by its nonstatutory, NFP model.
METHOD OF APPLICATION
Interested and qualified? Go to Medecins Du Monde career website on mdm.profilsearch.com to apply